At home body weight workout routines are necessary when you don’t have any gym equipment for working out with. These days most of the gym equipment suppliers are out of stock on a lot of things.
It is quite a nightmare to find the basic gym equipment for working out at home.
At times, you just don’t have the funds to buy gym equipment. Maybe you just lost your job as your company downsized due to the virus. This does not mean you can no longer exercise.
You can still workout in the comfort of your home without any equipment.
The basic muscle growth theory states that when muscles are made to expand and contract under weight they grow in size and strength to overcome the weight.
So what is required for you to work your muscles is weight. Your own body weight is enough to do a lot of exercises in the home to stay fit and stay in shape.
At the end of the day you do not have an excuse for not working out. Use your body weight for a variety of exercises you can do in your home. You may only need a few items that are generally found in the home.
The Workout Routines
The following is a typical exercise routine you can follow in your home.
The exercises will work your lower body targeting your legs, work your mid section targeting your pelvis, glutes, Abs and lower back and work your upper body targeting your shoulders, chest, arms, upper back and neck.
The only equipment you need is:
- a chair for tricep dips
- a carpet/mat for your floor exercises
- a clock/timer to check your time.
These items can easily be found in any household
Warm up – 3 Minutes
When starting any exercise routine it is important to warm up your body to raise your heart rate and get your blood flowing faster. This will help to prevent injuries and muscle cramps when working out.
- Hip rotations
- Arm rotations – forwards and reverse
- Leg stretches
- Star Jumps/ Jumping Jakes
Lower Body Workouts
Jogging in same spot
1. Start by running in the same spot raising you knees high above hip level.
2. Move your arms in tandem with the run.
3. Do this as fast as you can for 2 minutes
1. Stand with your feet at shoulder width. Raise your hands to shoulder height and clasp them in front of you.
2. Go down into a deep squat keeping your hands clasped. Reverse the move from the squat to stand up straight.
3. Do as many squats as possible in 2 Minutes
1. Stand with your feet together with you arms by your sides. Proceed to takea step forward.
2. Go down with the rear leg until your knee is almost touching the ground.
3. Reverse the move and get back up and step back to the spot you started from.
4. You can raise your arms straight up as you go down into the lunge. Bring your arms back down to your sides as you get back up.
5. Do as many lunges as you can in 2 minutes
Mid Section Workouts
1. Get down on the mat with your elbows and feet touching the ground.
2. You can clasp your hands in front of you on the floor. Keep your back straight in line with your feet.
3. Squeeze your Abs and stay in this position for at least one minute. Just freeze in this position and do not move for a minute.
4. Rest 30 seconds and repeat another plank for at least one more minute.
1. Lie on your back on the mat with your legs lifted up bending at 90 degrees angle to the ground.
2. Touch the back of your head with your fingers.
3. Move your right knee towards your head as you move your left elbow to meet with the right knee.
4. Reverse the movement when the elbow touches the knee and now bring the left knee to touch with your right elbow.
5. Your fingers must keep touching the back of your head all the time and your head must be lifted off the ground.
6. Do not support your head with your hands, just touch the back of your head lightly with your finger tips.
7. You can do as many as you can for one minute. Rest 30 seconds and do a second set for another minute.
1. Lie down on your mat with your hands pressing on the ground on the sides by your hips.
2. Your legs must be stretched out straight. Start kicking up and down slowly exchanging the legs with your hands firmly pressing on the ground.
3. Do as many kicks as possible in one minute. Rest for 30 seconds and do another set for another minute.
Upper Body Workouts
1. Get down on the mat with your palms and feet touching the ground.
2. Start with your hands in a straight position touching the ground just below your shoulders.
3. Press your body down as you bend your elbows.
4. Keep your elbows tucked in by your sides as you go down.
5. Keep your back straight in line with your legs
6. Reverse the move just before your chest touches the ground and go up until your arms are straight.
7. Do 3 sets of 10-15 push-ups
1. This exercise is almost the same as the normal push-ups above except that this time bring your hands close to each other when touching the ground below your chest
2. Your thumbs and index fingers must form a diamond shape as you go down to press your chest into the ground.
3. This exercise is a bit more difficult compared to the normal push-ups.
4. If you are a beginner and you find it too hard then let your knees touch the ground instead of your feet. You can perform the diamond push-ups on your knees.
5. This will reduce the body weight acting on your arms and chest and it should be easier.
6. You can start using your feet instead of knees when you are stronger.
7. Do 3 sets of 10-15 push-ups
This is the exercise where you use the chair for support.
1. Sit on the chair and hold the front edges of the chair seat with your hands on both sides.
2. Slide your body forward such that your butt is off the chair seat suspended in the air.
3. Your legs must be almost straight as you continue to hold the front edges of the chair behind you with both hands. Go down dipping your butt to the ground.
4. Reverse the move before your butt touches the ground.
5. Do 3 sets of 10-15 dips
The above at home body weight workout routines will get you into shape without any gym equipment. You can do these exercises 3-4 times a week. You do not have to work out every day. Give your muscles time to rest, repair and grow.
At some point you must introduce some small gym accessories into your workouts. Over time the same workout routine will become boring. Introduce these small items to add variety to your workouts.
>>> Click here for our Review of Home Gym Accessories <<<
Any exercise routine must be complimented by eating a healthy and balanced diet for fitness.
Reduce your intake of bad foods like trans fats found in meat, reduce takeout junk foods, reduce over processed foods like white bread and cold meats, reduce sugar and salt in your food.
Reduce your overall intake of carbs and aim for smaller portions. Increase your intake of lean meats, vegetables and fruits. Eat the raw unprocessed varieties of foods. Drink a lot of water for hydration.
Please leave a comment in the comments section if you found this to be interesting. You can also ask me questions in the comments section and I will get back to you.
Enjoy your workouts…..
Please follow us and share..