The word Cardio is short for cardiovascular exercise. It means the same as aerobic exercise which means any physical exercise where large amounts of oxygen are needed to fuel muscle movements with aerobic metabolism.
The body creates energy for the muscles through combustion of carbohydrates and fats with oxygen. This raises your heart rate as your heart beats faster to pump enough oxygen for this combustion process.
Blood starts flowing faster to deliver oxygen from the lungs to the muscles. Your blood vessels become dilated to accommodate the flow of blood and the increased pressure.
This whole process has multiple benefits for our bodies. You can do the following cardio exercises in the home 3-4 times a week.
Dedicating 30 minutes in 24 Hours for exercising should not be that hard.
The benefits of exercise are immense for your good health and long life.
The Benefits of Cardio
Burn Calories. Cardio is a good calorie burning exercise. In a 30-minute routine you can burn up to 300 calories or more depending on your body weight.
When you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight.
Burns body fat. When doing cardio your muscles need an immediate source of energy.
When the body runs out of immediate calories to burn it starts burning body fat as a source of energy.
The fat deposits get depleted and you lose weight.
Strengthen Muscles. Cardio exercises are done by rapid movement of bodily muscles.
When muscles expand and contract under your body weight or under resistance, human biology says the muscles will grow and become stronger. Your gain lean and strong muscles
Heart Strength. The heart is a complex muscle. Its made up of muscular tissue. As you do cardio the heart has to beat faster to pump oxygenated blood to the muscles.
The heart itself being a muscle also grows stronger in the process.
Clears bad cholesterol. Bad cholesterol tends to accumulate in our blood vessels mainly from a poor diet. When you do cardio the heart beats fast and the blood flows faster.
This helps to push the bad cholesterol in the vessels to the liver which then clears it from the body.
Lowers blood pressure. Lower blood pressure is a result of a combination of clean blood vessels clear of clots, fats, bad cholesterol and a good strong heart.
The clear vessels will allow a smooth flow of blood at a lower measured pressure.
Mood Boosting Endorphins. Cardio induces the release of endorphin hormones in our bodies. Endorphins help in reducing stress, pain and lifting your overall mood.
>> Click here for detailed Health Benefits of Exercise <<
Equipment needed for this routine
The equipment needed for this routine is very minimal. You will need the following:
- Skipping rope
- Pair of Dumbbells 5-10 Lbs depending on your level of fitness
- Exercise mat
The 30-Minute Routine
3 Minutes – Pre Workout Stretching.
An exercise routine should start with a warm up which helps in getting your muscles ready for exercise.
It reduces the risk of injury and cramps as you work out. Stretch your legs, you back and your arms separately.
5 Minutes – Skipping.
Use the skipping rope for 5 minutes skipping on the same spot.
Skipping will work:
- It also helps to focus your sense of balance.
5 Minutes – Running up the stairs or Jogging in place.
- Grab your dumbbells, one in each hand. Run up the stairs. Use just one floor.
- Run up and down for 1 rep. Do 10 reps X 2 sets. Rest 45 seconds between sets.
- If you don’t have stairs you can jog in one place raising you knees in front of you whilst holding your dumbbells.
- Do not let your arms hang when you hold the dumbbells. Let your arms move up and down as you jog or as you go up the stairs.
Stair climbing with dumbbells will work:
- lower back
5 Minutes – Push-Ups.
- Get on your mat and do normal push-ups 10 reps X 2 sets.
- Change to diamond push-ups 10 reps X 1 sets.
- Rest 45 seconds between sets.
- When doing diamond push-ups keep your elbows tucked into your sides as you go down.
- If you find push-ups too hard, do them on your knees it reduces the body weight and it will be a bit easier.
Normal push-ups work:
- Diamond push-ups will also engage your biceps in the workout.
3 Minutes – Squats.
- Grab your dumbbells, one in each hand. Stand with your feet at shoulder-length.
- Lift the dumbbells high above you head with straight arms. Go down in a squat keep the dumbbells raised above your head.
- Try to keep your arms straight up. From squat position go up to straighten your body for 1 rep.
- You can do 10 reps X 2 Sets.
Squats with dumbbells will work:
- lower and upper back
- shoulders and arms.
2 Minutes – Spot Lunges.
- Hold your dumbbells, one in each hand.
- Take a step forward with the right leg and go down with the left knee until it almost touches the ground and then go back up for 1 rep.
- Exchange legs and now step forward with the left leg.
- You can do 10 Reps X 2 Sets.
- Do not move your arms with the dumbbells. Just let them hang by your sides as you go down.
Lunges will work:
3 Minutes – Bicycle Crunches.
- Get on your mat and lie on your back with your legs lifted up bending at 90 degrees to the ground.
- Touch the back of your head with your fingers.
- Move your right knee towards your head as you move your left elbow to meet with the right knee.
- Reverse the movement when the elbow touches the knee and now bring the left knee to touch with your right elbow.
- Your fingers must keep touching the back of your head all the time.
- Do not lift your head with your hands, just touch the back of your head lightly with your finger tips.
- You can do this routine for 45 seconds. Rest 60 seconds and do a second set for another 45 seconds.
The crunches will work lower ABS and burn belly fat.
2 Minutes – Scissor Kicks.
- Lie down on your mat with your hands pressing on the ground on your lower back.
- Your legs must be stretched out straight. Start kicking up and down slowly with your hands firmly pressing on the ground.
- Do the kicks for 45 seconds. Rest for 30 seconds and do another set for 45 seconds again.
Scissor kicks will work:
- core muscles
2 Minutes – Post Workout Stretch.
Your workout is done at this point. Stretch your muscles for the last 2 minutes to get them to relax and wind down.
Do these exercises 3-4 times a week and you will lose the excess pounds and get the body that you want.
You may need to spice up your workouts so that you do not get bored. This you can achieve by investing is small home gym accessories so that you have variety in your workouts
>> Click here for our Home Gym Accessories Review <<
Cardio exercises in the home are an excellent way to lose fat and stay fit and healthy. Just ensure to compliment the exercises with a healthy balanced diet.
Please leave a comment in the comments section. If you have questions or need to engage just write in the comments section. I will definitely get back to you..
Until next time…..
Please follow us to receive the latest posts by email and share if you enjoyed reading this :