An indoor cycle bike is just perfect for sweaty cardio workouts. In these times of deadly viruses you do not need to risk your health hooking up with diseases in the sweaty spinning class at the gym. Get yourself one of the top indoor cycle bikes for home gym workouts.
Indoor cycling has several health benefits that we are all searching for when we exercise. It gives an aerobic workout that raises your heart’s pumping rate and gets your blood flowing fast.
A quick look at the benefits of a good cardio workout:
- Burns Calories
- Encourages Weight Loss
- Clears Bad Cholesterol
- Muscular Strength
- Improves Bone Strength
- Improves Endurance
- Lowers Blood Pressure
- Improves Heart Strength
- Improves Cognitive Function
- Mood Booster
- Better Sleep
>> Click here for detailed Benefits of Exercise <<
What you must consider when buying an Indoor Cycle
Before you make the purchase of the indoor cycle you need to take a pause and ponder over several things that you must take into account.
Check the features of the bike and compare with other models available on the market. A standard feature you need is variable resistance.
The bike should be able to increase and decrease the level of difficulty of the exercise. Increasing the difficulty will force your muscles to work harder for a more effective workout.
It should have a monitor to track calories, distance covered and speed. It should have variable seat height to accommodate users of different heights.
Ensure that the bike is strong and made to last a long period of regular workouts. You would not want the bike to breakdown within a few days or weeks. It must withstand regular use and abuse at your call.
Check and compare the materials used to construct the bike. Too many plastic parts will mean an early retirement from workouts. A bike made with mostly metallic parts is strong and durable.
3. Maximum Weight Supported
Check the maximum weight allowed on the bike. No point in getting a bike that does not support your weight. It will quickly break down.
Put a 10% gap between your weight and the maximum weight supported by the bike just to be safe. If your weight is 200 Lbs, get a bike that will support 220 Lbs or more
4. Warranty and Spares
Check that the manufacturer has a reputable service department. Ensure that the spares are readily available in case of a breakdown. Ensure that the bike comes with a users manual that has maintenance instructions.
It is in your interest to familiarize yourself with the maintenance procedures to keep your bike in top form.
Check the warranty period given by the supplier on the bike. A longer warranty period is in your favor.
Establish a workable budget that does not compromise on the items mentioned above. The purchase of the bike should not leave your pockets empty but the above mentioned items are the basic standards of a good bike.
Your budget should accommodate the above considerations. Cheap for now is always costly in the long run. You can buy a cheap bike without warranty and it breaks down within a few weeks. You end up with a problem of where to dump the broken down bike.
The content on this page contains links to merchants on the products under review. I might earn money for coffee if you buy something from the merchants through these links. Note this does not affect the price of your purchase. Thank you for the support. See Full Disclosure here
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
The Top Bikes
There are several types of indoor cycle bikes. We have picked one good model from each of the different types. For each one we shall highlight the features that separate it from the other types and point out what we feel are the pros and cons.
1. Vigbody Indoor Cycling Bike
This is a straight upright bike for spinning. You can join and follow spinning classes using your iPad or television in the comfort of your home. It uses friction resistance which is unlimited. You can increase the resistance until the wheel stops such that you fail to pedal.
|Drive System||✔||Belt system|
|Resistance System||Friction||Brake pad fixed above the flywheel|
|Maximum Weight Supported||330 Lbs|
|Product Weight||64 Lbs|
|Measurements - Assembled||46.1 x 25.2 x 44.1 inches|
|Measurements - Folded||✖️||Not foldable|
|Saddle Height||From 33.5 to 38.5 inches||Adjustable|
|Saddle to Handlebars||From 37.8 to 44 inches||Adjustable - The Saddle can be moved forwards and backwards|
|LCD Monitor||✔||Displays Time, speed, distance, calories, and odometer|
|Emergency Brake Lever||✔||Press down emergency stop lever|
|Flywheel||24.2 Lbs||Bi-directional flywheel - medium weight|
|Pedals||✔||Aluminium alloy caged with straps|
|Seat||✔||Padded with hollow ventilation|
|Handles||✔||Form padded for comfort|
|Transportation Wheels||✔||Fitted in the front. Tilt the bike by the handles for movement|
The Pros – Vigbody Cycle
- 12 Months Warranty
- 1.5mm thick commercial grade steel frame. Strong and durable frame
- Uses pure wool brake pad which is stronger and makes less noise
- The caged pedals with straps improve safety and comfort
- The hollow ventilation in seat helps to control sweating
- The four way adjustable saddle accommodates users of different heights
- The 330 Lbs max user weight indicates strength and durability of bike
The Cons – Vigbody Cycle
- No markings on the knob. It just shows direction to increase or decrease.
- You cannot preset resistance
- Bike has no tablet holder. You have to buy one separately
- Medium weight flywheel is average in maintaining momentum
- Resistance brake pad needs to be replaced every 6 months to a year depending on use.
- You need to buy silicone lubricant for the resistance pad. It reduces noise, heating up and friction smell
2. EXERPEUTIC 900XL Recumbent Exercise Bike
This bike is called a recumbent bike because you can use the bike in a laid back reclined position. It has a comfortable wide seat and back rest. It has handles on the sides of the seat.
It uses Magnetic Resistance with magnets installed that oppose the motion of the flywheel. You move the magnets closer to the flywheel to increase resistance and move them away from the flywheel to reduce resistance
|Drive System||V-Belt||Smooth and Quiet pedalling|
|Resistance System||Magnetic||8 Levels of resistance|
|Maximum Weight Supported||300 Lbs|
|Product Weight||63 Lbs|
|Measurements - Assembled||53 x 22 x 34 inches|
|Measurements - Folded||✖️||Non-foldable|
|Seat to Pedals||5.3 to 6.6 inches||Adjustable to accommodate users of different heights|
|LCD Monitor||✔||Indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed and heart rate|
|Emergency Brake Lever||✖️||Not mentioned|
|Flywheel||✔||Size not mentioned|
|Pedals||✔||Non-slip with adjustable straps|
|Seat||✔||Oversized, cushioned and padded|
|Backrest||✔||Cushioned and padded|
|Handles||✔||Pulse sensors for heart rate on handle bars on the sides of the seat|
|Transportation Wheels||✔||Fixed at the front. Lift the back to move the bike|
|Warranty||✔||3 Year Limited|
The Pros – Exerpeutic Bike
- Low impact on knees, back and all joints
- Easy to step on and off, excellent for rehabilitation
- Transportation wheels make it easy to move
- Oversized 16″ seat to accommodate bigger users
The Cons – Exerpeutic Bike
- Has to be assembled on delivery. You may incur extra costs if you have to hire someone.
- One directional pedal. You cannot pedal backwards
- No emergency brake mentioned
- No tablet holder, no water bottle holder
- Cannot be folded into storage
3. XTERRA Fitness FB350 Folding Exercise Bike
This is an upright spin bike like the first one mentioned above. The difference is this is smaller and you can fold it into storage at the end of your workout.
|Resistance System||Magnetic||8 Resistance Levels|
|Maximum Weight Supported||225 Lbs||Not for heavy users|
|Product Weight||42.3 Pounds|
|Measurements - Assembled||40.5 x 21 x 50.5 inches|
|Measurements - Folded||20 x 20.5 x 50.5 inches||You can fold it into storage|
|Saddle Height||Adjustable||Dimensions not mentioned|
|Saddle to Handlebars||✖️||Not Mentioned|
|LCD Monitor||✔||displays speed, distance, time, calories, and heart rate pulse|
|Emergency Brake Lever||✖️||Not installed|
|Flywheel||3.3 Lbs||Small flywheel|
|Pedals||✔||Non-slip with straps|
|Backrest||✔||Small lower back support - form padded|
|Front Handles||✔||Multi-grip with pulse sensors for heart rate|
|Seat Side Handles||✔||Form padded|
|Transportation Wheels||✔||Fitted on the front for easy movement into storage|
|Warranty||✔||90 Days for parts. 1 Year for frame|
The Pros – Xterra Bike
- Foldable into storage after use.
- Accessory pocket for cellphone or TV remote
- Padded lower back rest
- Quiet and maintenance free magnetic resistance
The Cons – Xterra Bike
- Lightweight, not for heavily built users – Max weight only 225 Lbs
- Has to be assembled on delivery. 20-30 minutes
- No ventilation slot in the saddle
- Small lightweight flywheel will not maintain pedal momentum
- Saddle height adjustments not mentioned
4. MaxKare Under Desk Exercise Bike
This is a small portable exercise bike that you use whilst seated on a chair. You place it in front of the chair in an open space or under a desk or table and start pedaling.
It will work the lower body muscles targeting calves, hamstrings, quads, glutes and hip flexors. You can work while exercising at the same time.
You can also place this bike on a table for working out your arms. It will target your bicep, tricep, shoulder muscles and forearms.
|Resistance System||Magnetic||16 Levels of Resistance|
|Maximum Weight Supported||✖️||Your weight sits on the chair|
|Product Weight||18.5 Lbs||Very portable|
|Dimensions||23.6 x 21.8 x 12.6 inches|
|LCD Monitor||✔||displays time, distance, odometer, speed and calories burned|
|Flywheel||✔||Flywheel size not indicated|
|Pedals||✔||Non-slip with straps|
|Carrying Handle||✔||Weighs only 18.5 Lbs|
The Pros – Maxcare Underdesk Bike
- 3 in 1 Exercise machine. Placed on desk for arm workout, under desk for leg workout, resistance ropes for arm workout
- Works lower body and upper body
- Low Impact exercise on your joints as your weight sits on the chair
- Increases blood circulation when you have been sitting for a long time in the office
- Bi-directional pedaling – forwards and reverse
- Magnetic resistance which is very quiet and maintenance free
- Portable. You can throw it in the car boot when traveling
The Cons – Maxcare Underdesk Bike
- Some assembling required when you receive it – 20 minutes
- No carrying case
- Gives a slower workout. You may not get the sweaty quick paced cardio workouts on this bike.
5. Marcy NS-1000 Fan Exercise Bike
This bike works like an elliptical machine. The difference is you pedal instead of gliding. When you pedal there are arms attached to the pedals that move with the pedals working your arms forwards and backwards.
The bike has an air resistance system installed. It has a fan that swirls air around as you pedal causing resistance.
|Resistance System||Air Resistance|
|Maximum Weight Supported||250 Pounds|
|Product Weight||80 Pounds|
|Measurements - Assembled||45 x 26.75 x 48.75 inches|
|Measurements - Folded||✖️||Non foldable|
|Seat height to Pedals||✔||Height adjustable - 7 positions|
|LCD Monitor||✔||Scan modes and track your time, distance, speed, and calories burned|
|Emergency Brake Lever||✖️|
|Flywheel||✔||Flywheel weight not mentioned|
|Pedals||✔||Non -slip with straps|
|Seat||✔||Form padded for comfort|
|Handles||✔||Dual action handle bars - padded for comfort|
|Transportation Wheels||✔||Fitted in the front. Lift the bike from the back to move it|
|Warranty||✔||2 Years Limited for parts only|
The Pros – Marcy Fan Bike
- Dual action workout of lower body and upper body at same time
- The air blown by the resistance fan keeps your body cool as you workout
- Height adjustable seat to accommodate users of different heights
The Cons – Marcy Fan Bike
- Assembling required when you receive it.
- The resistance is not calibrated. It just shows the direction to increase and decrease
- No other handles installed if you don’t want to work your upper body.
- No device holders installed
- The chain drive needs to be lubricated from time to time to prevent squeaky noises
The above mentioned Top Indoor Cycle Bikes are the different varieties available on the market. On each variety you will find different brands. We have just picked one brand on each variety which we feel qualifies to be in the top tier from what is available.
Remember to apply the considerations mentioned in the first part of this article when making the decision to buy the indoor cycle. What you want from the cycle bike are cardio workouts to get and keep your body in shape for a long time to come.
Try to buy other equipment as well for your home gym. Your workouts do not have to be the same every day. It will become monotonous and boring and you will quit exercising. Having different equipment will add variety to your workouts.
>> Click here for a comparison of Rowing Vs Spinning <<
You could also get small gym accessories to add to your home gym. The accessories will spice up your workouts as they engage other small muscles and core muscles for balance.
The accessories are also good for when traveling. You can throw the accessories in your luggage to continue with workouts and keep fit whilst you are away from home.
>> Click here for our Small Gym Accessories Review <<
Please leave some comments in the comments section. If you have any questions just write in the comments section. I will definitely get back to you.
Until next time….
Please follow us to receive the latest posts by email and share if you enjoyed reading this :