An elliptical exercise machine is a machine for working out that minimizes impact to your joints and any injuries you may have. The elliptical is meant to allow you to exercise and get you full body workout. However, it is constructed in such a way that due to its fluid movement it has low impact on your joints, tendons and ligaments.
When you have been injured and are recovering, the elliptical machine is your best mate to keep fit and recover. It all depends on the nature of your injury but in a lot of cases It is better to be safe and use the elliptical.
Ellipticals are also excellent training machines for the elderly who struggle with their joints and arthritis. They also need to keep fit and continue to enjoy all the benefits of exercise.
The good thing is the elliptical machines will allow you to vary the level of resistance as per your requirements such that you can increase or decrease the level of difficulty of the exercise.
Types of Elliptical Machines
Cross trainer elliptical machines work with a flywheel driving the foot pedals and handle bars. The flywheel allows the adjustment of resistance levels to vary the level of difficulty
These machines provide a full body workout as you drive the pedals working your legs and move the handle bars working your arms and core.
Portable elliptical machines are for working out the legs only. They do not have handle bars. Some you can use whilst seated in the office and you put it under your desk. They are easy to carry. They use magnetic resistance to vary the level of difficulty.
Some of the portable machines you can use in an upright position without handle bars. You can still get your cardio workout stair climbing on the machine. These are also good for balance as there are no handle bars.
Glider elliptical machines have foot stalls that move forwards and backwards. In some cases they come with moving handle bars that also provide forwards and backwards movement.
In some cases the handles will be fixed and do not provide any movement. In this case the handles will be for support only
>>> Take a look at our Review of Elliptical Machines <<<
The Benefits of using Elliptical Machines
1. 3 in 1 Workout – You get your cardio workout as your heart rate and blood flow increases during the exercise. You get strength training when you increase the level of difficulty and you put more effort to move the pedals and handles. You level of endurance improves as you become able to do the exercises for longer periods.
2. Calorie Burn – You burn calories as you workout with the elliptical machine. It is estimated that an average person weighing 150Lbs can burn as much as 300 Calories in a 30-minute workout on the elliptical machine.
3. Full Body Workout – You get to work your legs muscles, core muscles and upper body muscles. The actual muscles worked include calves, hamstrings and quads in the legs, glutes, Abs and core muscles in the mid section, lats, traps, chest, upper arm and fore arms.
4. Weight Loss – As you workout on the machine your muscles need instant energy. Your body will first burn the calorie intake from the food you had and after that your body will burn the fat deposits to produce energy for the muscles. That is how you lose weight and get a trimmed and toned body.
5. The Low Impact on Joints – Elliptical Machines due to their fluid movements are softer on the joints, tendons and ligaments of users. People who have problems with joint pains and arthritis can safely use elliptical machines.
6. Recovery from Injury – People who are recovering from injury can also safely use elliptical machines as they start to train and workout again. It helps with physio therapy exercises since it has low impact on joints.
7. Ease of Use – Users of elliptical machines do not need a lot of instructions. You just step onto the machine and start pedaling. You may just need to time your workouts and measure the calory burn.
A Workout Routine on an Elliptical Machine
Warm up for 3 Minutes
- Arm rotations
- Leg rotations
- Hip Rotations
It is important to warm up and get your body ready for the workout. Warm up starts to increase your blood flow and heart rate. This reduces the risk of injury and muscle cramps during the workout.
- Set 3 levels of resistance on the machine. Easy, Medium and Hard
- Set 3 levels of incline as well if applicable. Easy, Medium and Hard
- Start your workout at easy resistance and easy incline level for 3 minutes
- Increase to medium resistance and medium incline for 3 minutes
- Increase to hard resistance and hard incline for 3 minutes
- This completes one set of the routine.
- Come back to easy resistance and easy incline for the second set.
- Perform 3 sets totaling 27 Minutes
- Total time for this workout is 30 Minutes including the 3 minutes for warming up.
You can do this workout 4 times a week. Give your body and muscles time to rest and recover the other days. Muscles grow more when given a chance to recover.
Elliptical Machines are excellent gym equipment for use in your home. You can add the elliptical machine to your other home gym equipment such that you have a variety of equipment to use. You workouts will become boring if they are the same all the time.
>>> Click here for the Top Home Elliptical Machines <<<
Aim to acquire other home gym accessories to make your workouts interesting. Have variety and spice up your workouts
>>> Click here for our Home Gym Accessories Review <<<
It is important to combine your workouts with eating the correct diet for fitness. Increase your intake of good lean proteins for muscle growth. Increase your intake of raw fruits and vegetables. Drink a lot of water for hydration.
Reduce your intake of carbs. When you do take carbs target to eat the unprocessed grains and semi processed varieties.
Please leave a comment in the comments section. If you have any questions or need to engage, do not hesitate to write in the comments section. I will definitely get back to you.
Cheers for now…….
Please follow us and share..